Thursday, February 16, 2006

Big Mistake

Sophomore year of college there was a small group of us working in studio on a construction project.
Chris Brokaw (not the singer, just like Beth Orton is not the singer) found that if you pulled a circular saw across the top of a laminated table, the layers left a great pattern as long as the blade skimmed the surface and didn't cut a groove. I took this up after him, and made a nice modification to the saw. I'd known from previous construction work that a carpenter's pencil stuck in the retracting guard will prevent that pesky guard from closing over the blade. This allows for more hands on cutting. Don't ask me how to modify nail guns, I used to do that too. Well, I get my saw all set up and am ready to make a couple new passes, when unbeknownst to me, Joel Smullen walks behind my back. I fire up the saw and it catches on a joint, kicking back. I am able to keep one hand on the trigger, and in my shock, I of course tighten up, keeping the blade going full rotation. The action is behind me, so I don't know the level of exaggeration, but Joel starts screaming at me. He, and the others insist that I missed his face by only an inch or two on the kickback. I feel sick to my stomach, as I realize what I could have done. The amount of times that I screwed around as a kid in situations that could have killed me or someone else is staggering. I sincerely think this was the last time I did any horseplay that could have caused serious harm. If Joel were taller, fatter, closer, he would have been seriously hurt. Hurt to death even.
So I think back on this situation and think it's just about the worst thing I've ever done.
Worst as far as consequences to someone else. I've done much more mean and spiteful things on emotional scales, but that wouldn't have lead to death.

It's worse that I can't think of the best thing I've ever done.

6 Comments:

Blogger Raindog said...

Blogging is great. Perhaps we now have no need for catholic priests? The expanse of cyberspace is now our big polluted confessional.

12:22 PM  
Blogger Suds said...

Agreed. Are we feeling put-upon today?

1:06 PM  
Blogger The Cruise said...

Why is always about humour with you?

Do I have to be Jokey McJokerson 247 to make you happy?

Sometimes I'm not a happy clown, I am a sad clown.
Sometimes I am a rodeo clown.

1:11 PM  
Blogger Raindog said...

You're right, birdflag.

In high school, I was voted Most Likely to Be the Next Picasso (hasn't happened yet). Along with this honor, I was charged with designing the cover of a book full of one-page reflections written by my graduating class.

I collected painted and drawn self-portrats from my classmates and arranged small photocopies of the original art onto a template for whoever was putting the book together.

My big mistake was when I left two of the (best) self-portraits in a folder in the hallway over night. They were never to be seen again. I never talked to either of those classmates again. I swore off art classes for the next 3 years. I'll probably also never go to a high school reunion, just out of fear that I'll have to tell them I lost the best documentation of themselves at the time.

I think it really is the thing I feel most guilty about. Hopefully, they won't find and read this blog comment.

By the way, I went to a Catholic high school, but never went to confession.

3:07 PM  
Blogger ajparrillo said...

That was S. Sefero. Just got back from Gulf War and wanted some action. Kim and I went to Darrin Martin's wedding...it was sweet. We were at Tracy E's, Shawn's and S. Johnson's table. He probably wasn't, but I remember Shawn wearing a tanktop. Sam did not bring a date, but he rsvp'd for 2 and put the place card down next to him so he could get two meals. "Uh...my girlfriend is in the bathroom." The server asked later if his girlfriend was ever coming out. Dance floor was pretty sweet also.

7:51 AM  
Blogger The Cruise said...

Sam Johnson!
That's who I was thinking of. In 5th grade I traded him storm shadow for Quick Kick and Bazooka. That's an awesome story about him. It also sounds like some kind of plan Pinetti would come up with.

Did Darrin wear a baseball hat to his wedding?

1:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home