Friday, February 10, 2006

Feets of Strength


When I was in junior high, I hit an awkward stage in my life and I was always uncomfortable and surly. Through careful perusal of my life in hindsight, I realize it was my parent’s fault. They had no problem buying me shoes that fit, but I was always wearing old hand me down socks. The kind of socks that creep down due to lack of elastic and end up bunched up around your heel or even worse, instep. The ones with holes in the mid toe, so they grate on the top.
As I grew older, relatives who gave me the Xmas present of socks were relations to be treasured, and they got their thank you notes written first. Now, I buy new socks every few months. My favorite economical brand is Champion, but Thorlo is definitely the direction to splurge in. Tube socks are an invention of the devil. So are those thin dress socks.


This leads me to my Rules About My Feet:

1-Never wear shoes that would prohibit you from running away from a Tsunami.
The no flip flop rule.
2- Life is too short to wear bad socks.
As soon as a sock is damaged, take a pair of scissors on cut it in half down the length, save this for polishing your shoes.
3-A workman is only as good as his tools.
Wear the right cleats for the right turf, and wear the right court shoes for b-ball. Wear clean, nice shoes to work. Never wear wet shoes.
4-Take care of your dogs.
Trim and sand off the callous, clip your toenails straight across, but not too short to avoid ingrown toenails.
5-Let them breathe.
Go barefoot whenever possible. Just watch out for rusty punctures.
6-Thank the Lord you're not a Borden.
They have mutant feet, from Amanda's web toes, to Bryan's inhuman hammer toe, they are a family of abominations.

6 Comments:

Blogger scrooner said...

I've gotten into Smartwool socks lately, and they are super expensive but great for special occasions. I only have 2 pairs ($13.95 & $18.95) but they are awesome for cold-weather Ultimate. I want to buy a few more pairs for tournaments...

2:29 PM  
Blogger The Cruise said...

Scrooner is like Robocop.

Special cleats.
Synthetic wool socks.
Ankle braces with hinges.
Anti cramp shin wraps.
Groin wrap.
Compression shorts.
Drywick jersey.
ACDC hat.

2:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i can't tell, has the birdflag officially transplanted any banter on the puff message board or is this a continual series of inside jokes or somewhere in between. all i know is i have this weird need to keep checking in every few days.

5:07 PM  
Blogger The Cruise said...

That new guy better come to my party.

5:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm only coming if there's lots of malibu and various Island-themed fruits.

5:45 PM  
Blogger scrooner said...

Um, yeah...I'm of the belief that there's nothing you can't play through as long as you have enough neoprene. Someday I will need a neoprene bodysuit, and I will look HOT.

1:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home