Friday, January 18, 2008

Freakazoid


To conclude my Friday, I was poking around about scientology...refreshing myself on how crazy it is, even moreso than other "religions." I ran across this site that had L Ron Hubbard recordings from his Scientology lectures. HOLY SHIDOODOO! Part of me, even though I already knew of the insane belief of past alien conquerer Xenu, thought that there must be something remotely rational involved as to appeal to people. I mean, it has ganered a following, been highly profitable, has spurred spinoff (front) organizations, and has a certain amount of power. These recordings, however, make almost no sense whatsoever. I recognize English words and fairly logically constructed sentences spattered with recognizable figures and concepts, but it is absolute gobilygook! How the hell does this catch on with a founder/profit who was seemingly borderline retarded? I am absolutely amazed by the sheer nonsensical wanderings of this guy....its like there is absolutley no effort being expended. AT LEAST TRY! Interestingly this lessens my opinion of people and of a society that somehow produces individuals that listen to this and say, "yeah, right on!" I think L Ron Hubbard is my new hero...starting a new religion with no semblance of thought or effort...brilliant!

8 Comments:

Blogger kenji said...

I want Beck back from the scientologists. Normally I'd say I'd trade Will Smith and DJ Jazzy Jeff for Beck back, but it seems to be a little too late for Big Will. So how bout Prince and David Beckham? Prince is already in some dumb cult, I don't really care which one. Becks? Seriously, who cares what religion sports stars are? I'd even throw in Posh.

Hmm. But wait. This might legitimize scientology in Europe, a bad thing.

I guess I'll switch to Antonio Banderas.

Who do you want back? Who would you trade?

10:00 AM  
Blogger ajparrillo said...

I agree...I was disheartened years ago when I found out Beck is a Scientologist. However, you cannot blame the child for the sins of the parents...HE WAS RAISED SCIENTOLOGIST. Just like any other cultural brainwashing. This also lead to the insight of why Beck's lyrics can be so cryptic...his savior is nonsensical. I looked up a list of Scientologist and was very surprised (then not) about many of the names on the list and by the number of people "raised" scientologist.

10:41 AM  
Blogger The Cruise said...

LRon looks like Principle Rooney in that pic.


I just think that in today's society where you can find out almost anything about the personal life of a celebrity, it's important to separate the private person from the performer.

James Brown was pretty much an utter shit of a person, but that music is awesome. he pretty much invented two entire genres of music, and then is responsible for 90% of the decent backbeats in hip hop. After reading about his personal life, I can't stop listening to him just b/c I wouldn't like to hang out with him.

Same goes for Beck, or even Michael Jackson.

Travolta and Cruise are in shitty movies, and are shitty actors, so I don't have any problem disliking them, but still separating the Scientology insanity from their work.

I have not entirely figured out this theory of mine in relation to sports, b/c I find it impossible to cheer for rapists, even if they dunk real good.

10:50 AM  
Blogger ajparrillo said...

At the time LRon was developing Scientology, there was a groudswell of interest in "space" because of the space race and more and more info about what was beyond our planet. He tapped into this interest and want for more and better knowledge through his scifi and saw opportunity. I think this was originally short term, but it caught on. Again, the amazing thing is that he put very little effort into his discussions...like making it up as you go along.
As for separating artist from beliefs. Yes...for the most part. But when artist attempt to interject expicit rhetoric designed to sway opinion, I get turned off. This is in the eye of the beholder, though, because I like socially responsible music which has messages in itself. Therefore, I am full of shit. BUT, I don't like how MJ tries to get me to molest kids in his music.

2:03 PM  
Blogger scrooner said...

In 50 years, will Scientology be on the same level as Mormonism?

6:16 PM  
Blogger ajparrillo said...

Same level? You mean decrease in significance? It would be easy to make the argument that scientology already has much more societal influence than Mormonism.

9:31 AM  
Blogger scrooner said...

I mean in the progression from cult to religion. Starts out as a cult, and after a while people forget how weird it is, and it becomes "religion". Like Christianity.

4:47 PM  
Blogger The Cruise said...

Like Christianity.

oh no, no you dint.

4:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home