Monday, February 23, 2009

Ultimate Teams Versus Employment


One thing to think about when you've been laid off is the timing.
My timing seems to be pretty similar, and it's not tied into the economy, it's tied into something much more primal. My job fate is tied directly into my ultimate team situation.

The last time I was laid off here in Portland, it was right when Scuber Du broke up. Now that Coltrane broke up, I once again find myself unemployed. I started my first Portland job in mid February 2003, and started with Scuber in March, then got laid off in August 2004, and Scuber broke up in September.
Coltrane pretty much also exactly coincided with my last place of employment, started work in late February of 2005, and started Coltrane in March. Then Coltrane broke up in September, and my work was well on it's way to four day work weeks and random forced weeks of PTO.

Is that coincidence? Or Circadian Rhythms? Or just me wanting to quit Scuber, and quit that shitty job, and then 4 years later wanting to quit captaining but not wanting to get laid off?

A lesser man would consult his tarot cards, read the horoscope, or read the tea leaves to divinate his new surroundings. I merely went into the old office and cleaned out my desk [but not too good, I made sure to leave it messy so they would have to really clean it (stickin' it to the man!)] and stole a box of tea. The tea that I liked, Decaf Earl Gray. I figure what can they do if they catch me stealing tea? Re-lay me off? I guess they could fire me and avoid paying into unemployment insurance for me, or cause my benefits to lapse or something like that. I guess that's why it's important that HENDERSON CONSTRUCTION SERVICES never finds out that I stole from them.

This year, I don't plan on really playing with a club team, but I do plan on working. The question is, will I have to go back on my plans and get onto a team just to make sure I get hired?

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger kenji said...

You should play with Swizzle. They are never going to break up. Is that the equivalent of getting a government job?

2:28 PM  
Blogger scrooner said...

Why not play with a Seattle team? I've found that it takes them a lot longer to figure out what a jerk you are when they don't see you as often.

11:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home