Tuesday, May 23, 2006

The Capitol

I just returned from Washington DC. I was there for the Book Expo America conference. It was my first trip to our nation's capitol....and I have a few observations:

1) East coasters complain like no other--about everything and anything. Either West coasters are just more relaxed about life in general, or East coasters live very, very difficult lives.

2) DC is kind of like Las Vegas. Oh, there's the Washington Monument -- it can't be too far, only 10 blocks. Five miles later........... It's also kind of like Vegas b/c people get paid to swindle your money.

3) Coffee is horrible, and there are not nearly enough "good" coffee chains for the hoards of people in line for the precious few Starbucks.

4) Speaking of lines -- they are everywhere. I would probably go insane and crazy -- yes insane AND crazy if I had to live there and deal with lines all the time.

5) The East coast DOES know how to do bagels. Toasted and sliced both ways! Once throught he middle, and then again in half. That concept has not yet caught on here.

Feel free to add your own observations...........I'm jet lagged -- thank goodness for the 3-hour showing of King Kong on the plane ride back!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. Having lived in DC for years, I can tell you the only thing worse than standing in lines all the time, is having a car and trying to find parking. And if you think you can argue out of a parking ticket because the meter was legitimately broken, you're insane and crazy. The meter maids are cracked-out banshees and they may kill you.

2. Standing in lines for FREE museums is still ok with me...especially if you go during off hours.

3. There are more joggers in DC than anywhere else I've been. They sweat year-round because DC is a swamp.

4. The secret to navigating DC via car is the Rock Creek parkway. It's one way after certain hours and two way on certain days, (and only on some holidays) so tourists stay off it for fear of dying.

5. Until the official kickball league forced you off, playing disc between the Washington and Lincoln monuments was pretty fantastic.

10:39 AM  
Blogger L-Boogie said...

yeah, I was totally thinking that with all that grass, ultimate should be played there! Actually, all along the "mall"

11:33 AM  
Blogger scrooner said...

Last time I was there I thought, "man, this place is really bright". I think it was all of the white marble sidewalks & steps. Hurt my eyes.

12:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home