Thursday, March 05, 2009

still life in portraiture


You ever meet those people who are proud of being ignorant?
I'm pretty sure this is the topic of a chris rock stand up set, and I believe it wholeheartedly, there is nothing to be gained by being woefully stupid.
Except in one case, maybe two if you count it this way.
Every time I have something above and beyond the slightest bit of computer knowledge in a work environment, it has meant I had to do more work for other people. When I know how to manage layering systems and complex x-referencing situations at work, guess what, people come ask me about it all the time. And I have to do my work, adn theirs as well. If I do know how to do it, but pretend I don't, and look stupid, then say "Ask Jessica" I only have to do my work. Knowing how to type well is a similar thing. If you can't type, you can get the receptionist to do your typing for you. If you do that though, I suggest getting them presents to make up for it.

In that vein, I've thrown together a list of words that I come across and pretend to know what they mean based on context, but am really pretty fucking ignorant about what they really mean. So here's what my brain thinks when I read these words.

ZEITGEIST
zeit means "time", gheist means "ghost". i have no idea what a time ghost is.

PARVO
it's a dog disease, but i don't know what it does.

POSSE COMITATUS
it's latin for "house pussy". or being in a monogamous relationship.

WRIT OF HABEUS CORPUS
It's a contract about living in your body. I end up thinking most latin words mean "house".

OCCIDENTAL
I forget if this means "asian" or "not asian"

SANCTIMONIOUS/SACROSANCT
sanct means "saintly", "sacr-" means "not saintly" It's all a bunch of Catholic stuff about how god is pissed at you, but he'll be cool about it later.

QUOD ERAT DEMONSTRATUM
No idea. I looked it up when somebody on the internet wrote "QED" to end an argument and I'm still lost, because I refuse to read definitions once I find them.

SEBASTOPOL
This is a place, but I don't know where. If you made me guess, I would say it's in Turkey.

SYCOPHANT/SVENGALI
It's bad people in charge of crap, but does it only refer to bad people in charge of dumb people, or kids, or is a sycophant someone who is subordinate? I don't know.

EPOCH
Something to do with time, but not ghost time.

EXPAT
Does this just mean "foreigner who is white"?

CLITORIS
girls like you to touch this magical thing on their body, but only if they already like you, but won't like you if you don't touch or haven't already touched it, or won't touch it right, so it's a catch 22.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger ajparrillo said...

ZEITGEIST - an era defined by general human emotion/feelings...can only be retroactively defined.
PARVO - what it does? it rocks.
POSSE COMITATUS - van peebles posse consitings of wheazie, some baldwin, cool moe dee, and the funky cold madina
WRIT OF HABEUS CORPUS - an incantation that brings the dead back to zombie status
OCCIDENTAL - accidents ocurring at work
SANCTIMONIOUS/SACROSANCT - catholics don't know their ass from their elbow in terms of religion
QUOD ERAT DEMONSTRATUM - meaning...if you have to look this up, you are not as smart as me...many people do these things to make themselves sound smarter than they are...most who use these terms do not actually know their meaning, they heard somebody else who they think is smart use it
SEBASTOPOL - yes, must be mid-eastern/mediterranean
SYCOPHANT/SVENGALI - sounds like devient sex stuff
EPOCH - large expances of geologic time...i never understood it either...JURASSIC!
EXPAT - somebody who is a citizen of another nation state living in another nation state
CLITORIS - a dangerous man-eating plant...BEWARE!

4:50 PM  
Blogger The Cruise said...

see, that's what i need you for.
i wouldn't know any of this shit without you.

6:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home