Friday, September 16, 2005

http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/4874450


NHL 94 at Bevis Baptist Church


In college I lived with 4 other guys, and we shared one copy NHL 94.
We would each save our individual head to head games, so we could keep track of who had the best record in the house. Right as we would get to about 100 wins each, the cartridge would crash, and we'd start over. I think we started over about 5 times, so that's about 750 games we played.

Every guy in the house had their own team they always used, and one way of scoring.

BK from Pittsburgh, always played the Pens.
He would take 5 minutes before every game to set his lines to the exact line shifts they were using that week.
The main strategy was to just take Lemieux into the boards, then take your thumb off the joystick, push b then c, and it was pretty much an automatic one timer goal from jager/coffey/stevens? He could only score with his #1 line.

Tre from Cinti, always played Kings.
He would dipsy do with Gretsky, and pretty much only use the Brook. Circle around the back of the goal, then cross in front on the backhand and if you didn't control the goalie, it was a score.

Doody from Chicago, always played the Hawks.
His strategy was check of the face off, instead of pass. If he made Gretsky or Lemieux's head bleed before the 2nd period, he'd win. If Roenick got penalized, he was done. His goal scoring method was to get Roenick or Chelios the puck and get them right near the right hand face off dot, turn their back to the goal and fire a slapshot. Roenick was the only player who could do this and make it work. It was pretty easy to defend if your players weren't tired. He never used his checking line.
He never ever ever took control of Belfour, absolutely refused to.

Chief Little Big Head from Cleveland, never really settled on a team.
He went through the Flyers, Stars and Bruins, never making up his mind until he played the Nordiques. He knew he was going to lose, so he just went out in a blaze of frenchiness. His strategy was to shoot a wrister to the goalie, then check him. NHL 94 had that glitch where you could knock the entire goalie over the line and it would count as a goal. He was better hockey player than me in real life. I could take him now though.

Me from Cinti, always played The Couv.
This team was pretty simple. 5 guys with speed in the high 90s. All I did was break aways. Come down the ice with your body centered on the post, not the goalie, and then right before you got to the goalie, deke backhand, then shoot a wrister. The Couv were great because even if you made Bure's head bleed, you still had Cliff Roening on the second line. And Trevor Linden took faceoffs, so Roenick never got a chance to goon him.

Best video game ever. Not just sports game.
(I actually put it tied with tecmo, I just don't have time to right about those strategies.)

Bevis Baptist Church was a sign me and my roommates stole and then put on out house when we were coming back from a Cincinnati Cylcones vs. Cleveland Lumberjacks game.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Quintin, Jacmel and myself used to stay up all night playing Tecmo bowl. Quintin played with the Lions because he lived there when he was 2 or something like that, and Jacmel played with Da Bears because the same applied to him, well, he also liked to play with Sweetness. Jacmel would also play with the Ridaers, because Bo Jackson is pretty much the video game God of all time! Occasionally, Jacmel would play with the Raiders. Based on these picks you would think that Tecmo was dominated by running backs. Me, I plyed with the Niners, so that was most certainly not the case. The Lions had Jerry Ball and some annoying "average" guy on the D Line, and he resembled LT for some reason. Hike and sack in the blink of an eye. He was right in front of the center, and made my center look like a big sissy. Fortunately, I had the Nineres, and Joe would just heave anything at will in the air only to watch Jerry snatch it out of the air. That's beside the point. I had play number 3 (only 4 to choose from on the original Tecmo) which was a simple 10 yard slant to Rathman. Must I say, "unnnnnnnstoppable!" The combination of his sack machine, and my slant pass meant many a 10 - 7 games in Tecmo. He wouldn't try to pull that crap with Barry where he would run around for 150 yards before he chose to run a simple 2 yard touchdown. i could gon about our teenage exploits of the all night adventures that involved my bro's and Tecmo, but I will stop. Oh the memories. I'm out.....

Danimal

9:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can spell, really!

9:45 AM  
Blogger T-Unit said...

I never really got into sports titles, especially with other people. None of my friends knew how to play, so it was really boring because I didn't even have to try. I used to play Madden '93 (or was it '94) a bit with my brother. He would always be the Broncos. John Elway was god to him. He almost always lost to me. I would be the 49ers and throw to Rice, or I would be the Atlanta Falcons and throw to Deion Sanders.

College was a different story. The countless hours of playing Counter Strike the first 2 years I was there. I would either be the "I'm Rambo" and take my FN-P90 and run out in front of everyone and try to take out 6 people at once only to get all of their health down to like 10%, then die, and someone else on my team kill them. Or, I would be the "fag0t camper" with a sniper rifle when I killed everyone.

Now I play Super Smash Brothers Melee, the single greatest console game ever. If you don't believe me, come over to my house and play it.

10:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I played nintendo 'hockey' - you could pick the red team, the green team, the blue team... and there was a fat guy, a skinny guy, and some other average guys, If I remember right you could make your line-up with whatever configuration of fat/skinny/average, I'm sure there was some skill associated to the body type, I usually took a mix - but I would just hit the a/b buttons repeatedly and arrow around the ice and gamble as to what would happen*, I won often enough that I could talk smack, and there was no need to figure out the game more. [*well, to a point... I probably knew what I was doing a little more than that...]

We had the game because Jesse left it at our house, and really my brother and I only played because it was an equal playing field of each of us sucking since the game was crap, but at least we could both be playing at the same time instead of sitting bored while the other person played.

10:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First off...Daniel, that's the smartest thing you have ever said.

Second off, I remember playing Gerry Glanville's Pigskin Footbrawl on the ole' genesis in college. (when NHL 94 and madden were worn out). Best nonsensical football game ever. Each team has an armored player that can kill the other players at will. And if your team is behind by a lot at half, they bring in the troll who basically evens things up. Play only stops when a touchdown is scored, so you could go for hours just running back and forth. Kind of like Daniel in the cup.

That game and RBI baseball on the original nintendo. Can't beat a batter than can swing and move around the box without picking up his feet. Just like real life.

1:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wrong. Best video game ever was Super Mario 64. That game was so amazing it almost made me pussy out & buy a Nintendo (thankfully I bought a Playstation instead).

1:59 PM  
Blogger T-Unit said...

RBI baseball was awesome. I used to play that game so much.

DA: Granted Super Mario 64 was a frickin' sweet game, but not the best ever. It revolutionized gaming for the next gen consoles, but it isn't near as fun as SSBM or even Goldeneye. Shit, I forgot how much of that game I played.

3:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All I can say is
Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, A, B! Start.

4:57 PM  
Blogger T-Unit said...

Wrong, it's U U D D L R L R B A Start
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Konami_Code
I can't believe there is a wikipedia entry for this. Konami code is sweet.

8:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn! No wonder why it didn't work!

2:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

doody from Chicago was the bomb!!

1:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home