Thursday, March 02, 2006

Ides of March

That last post is a minor fender bender. It should have been a train wreck, those are more entertaining. March has started now, we got off on the wrong foot, me and this month, but I’ll make it better. We’ll work it out, we always do. March and I have a long history, I’ve been around March more than any other month. We have to keep this together, or I don’t know what.

February went pretty well. Work is going good, except for the whole part of changing our entire structural system on the building we already got through permitting. Removing a diaphragm slab and structural wall joists to go to an exterior brace system is the kind of thing that is important. It’s important to everyone, even you. Please think about my structural brace system for at least 5 minutes today. Especially since the diagonal members are 8x8 HSS so they mess with my cavity wall studs. Another thing about February is I should have written about black history month. It would have been a mess though, probably some ramblings about how much I like Chuck D or something.
I ended February with another rousing win at trivia, this in conjunction with my new trivia team. Comprised of my old friends. We worked well together, not too much bickering.

March started well yesterday. I had a good shower. The highest possible water temp at my house can fluctuate about 5 degrees, so a shower can either scald, or be not hot enough. It was perfect yesterday. Then, my next effort was a disaster. I poured a bowl of cereal, got out a glass for juice, and promptly poured OJ on my flakes. I stared at them for a good 15 seconds before I used a big fork to strain the OJ into the glass and then fill the bowl with soy milk as nature had intended. The cereal ended up with a weird tang to it, and the glass of juice still had small flakes in it I had to spit out. I feel this just bodes poorly for the rest of the days. I better make sure to pay my bills this month, that is the sort of mistake that could happen. Taxes too. Keep on my toes.

I should have had this for breakfast instead

I’m running out of insinuating questions and leading topics. You know I’m bringing up the subject in round about ways, don’t make me resort to the final anecdote. “BadAss” doesn’t read this, but if she does sometime in the future, I should keep it on the quiet side.
Just leave it at: more history than college, MultCo activism, and similar but different deja vu.

What’s your unlucky month?

6 Comments:

Blogger L-Boogie said...

I agree that March usually signals the beginning of better times. Jan. and Feb. are unbearable long. So I would normally say that I hate Jan and Feb.

But this past year was full of a few pretty bad months, so they contend with the dreary Portland Jan./Feb.

July was crappy b/c I was scrimmaging a crappy team on a crappy field (no offense Fiber)and was running after a crappy throw (no offense Ash), and tore my ACL and menisucs. But I still love July.

Sept - Nov were also crappy for reasons of a personal relationship nature. Which sucks b/c Sept. is my birthday month! Hopefully it's not ruined forever. I intend to clear out bad ju-ju this year.

So I still say that Jan/Feb suck --and March is still good...especially b/c Kyle's birthday is on March 22, the same day I leave for Hawaii.

10:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How lucky months are for me seems to be almost inversely proportional to how much I love the month. Why is that?

I generally hate February, especially in Oregon...it's not really winter anymore but it sure as hell isn't close to spring. And it's always just cold, dark & rainy enough to piss me off for no justifiable reason. And yet, if something really wonderful and unforeseen is going to drop into my lap out of the blue, it's highly likely that it will happen in February. Job offers, romantic liasons and happy accidents -- none of which I ever do anything to deserve -- often seem to magically appear during this hated month.

On the flip side, there is no accounting for why I love the end of summer...hereafter referred to as "August". I've had a disproportionate number of mishaps befall me through no fault of my own during this almost -favorite month. Broken wrist in skateboarding accident? Check. Clients going bankrupt? Check. Best relationship of my life ending? Check. (ok, that one was my fault) USA Media share prices plummeting at the same time my stock options vested? Check. Volleyball career-ending-foot-caught-in-conveyor-belt injury? Check. Car accident that is giving me grief to this day? Check. And then there's always Spawnfest to cap it off.

Jesus, August...you have been a cruel, cruel month at times. And yet our love affair continues. I love your sunshine, your roadtrips, your almost harvest-time, your long twilights, your naps under the stars and your gelato.
Moth to a flame I guess.

12:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

March.
-C

1:59 PM  
Blogger Raindog said...

I have no comment, but at least I can give three reasons why.

1. I usually don't have a good idea of what month it is at any given time. Just never seemed important to pay attention. The times I do know what month it is, are usually at the end of the month (I suspect), after the news has taken several weeks to set in, and about that time, it changes again (I suspect).

2. I'm not that much younger than most of you, but I still don't think I've had enough life experience to really have an opinion on what time of year is especially lucky or unlucky for me. I've had no careers start or end. No major car accidents. No life-changing heartbreaks. On the other hand surgeries and parents divorces are kind of major, so maybe I just don't notice big things happening. How Zen of me. Furthermore...

3. I'm pretty bad at pattern recognition anyway. For example, I recently just realized that it rains a lot in Portland. So if there was a time of year that always (or never) worked in my favor, I wouldn't be able to notice.

So I have no favorite month because apparently I don't understand months or luck.

3:13 PM  
Blogger Raindog said...

By the way, I have to thank Miss Lboogie for her resilience and for drawing the discussion to a reasonable point.

I mean, reading Birdflag's post is mostly ok, until the last paragraph where I lose comprehension, and only vaguely detect a strongly negative downward path. What is he saying? Then LB shows up with something readable and understandable.

Relief.

4:31 PM  
Blogger The Cruise said...

I should have posted something about kittens.
That would have made more sense.

4:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home