Friday, March 03, 2006

A Sound of Thunder

Once again I need to use my Marty powers, this time I use them so as not to overshadow the L-boogie post above.
After calling Daniel to apologize for showing up 2 1/2 hours early to Jaceys art opening, he informed me that it was okay, because she was more than 1/2 an hour late to even show up for her opening. Yin and Yang, we keep the world at balance.
It was time for basketball. We were playing a rousing game of three on three waiting for a few more bodies to show, when a large man popped his head in the gym and asked if “this was the Yshai League?”*1 We told him to suit up, we needed him. Well, once we got a closer look at him on the court, he was in the neighborhood of 6’-6”. Sort of like if Sellwood was 6’-6”, he lived in Brooklyn. He was also thick, “a powerful man” as Hemmingway would say, “an imposing figure” as Fitzgerald would say, “a giant of a man if he was even a hill” as Tolkien would say, “Shit, he’s like a white Shaq” as Ted from Yshai League did say. Of course, my luck put him and the only other post threat against my team. It would be “THE PEOPLE WHO KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING” versus “THE HUSTLE GUYS WHO SOMEHOW MADE THEIR FREE THROWS EVEN THOUGH NONE OF THEM CAN NORMALLY SHOOT”. Even though we finally had our numbers, there was still a second to wait before the tip, because one member of his team needed to use the restroom. In our downtime, he decided to break the ice, explaining to my team that he would not dominate this game for two reasons.
Reason 1-He had not played in over a year.
Reason 2-His right eye was made of glass.
The return of his player marked the opening of the night. On their first possession, White Shaq tried to set a devastating screen for a back door curl, which I deftly avoided because I don’t like to leave my man open for Js. I fought back through the paint and heard a loud thud directly behind me. Restroom Player had rifled his first pass into the post. Into the right eye (still made of glass in case you had forgotten that part of the story, or had skipped down a paragraph) of White Shaq. Into the head, and out of bounds. Luckily, there was no harm done, probably because the ball contacted less organic matter than normal, and the only short term effect was change of possession. White Shaq calmly told Restroom Player, that maybe he had missed the pregame introductions, or had at least missed the part about White Shaq only having one functioning eye, he reiterated this point, probably to ensure he would not leave the court with two non functioning eyes. Restroom Player responded with his nervous laugh, and deflecting excuse as he is wont to do.

What happened next?
That my friends, is a story for Another Time….



*1 It was theYshai league, don’t worry about what that means. I’ve taken care of it on my end, so just let it go, and keep reading the story.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home