Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Children's Books

So, Birdflag suggested this topic as a good one for blog conversation, and I agree! Being in publishing and being the child of a former teacher and art major, I love children's books!

After having spent the recent past lamenting the fact that I cannot yet afford to purchase a tiny little condo in SE Portland, and the fact that I really have no idea why I even wanted to in the first place, or what I want to do with my life. I find myself wishing things were resloved as simply and artfully as a children's book. There is an issue, there is a solution, there is a lesson learned, then you take a nap.

Childhood favorites that I will pass on to my children (if I ever decide that I am okay with being preggers for 9 months of my life)

The Giving Tree, Shel Silverstein and all of his children's poetry books (sorry I know I just said poetry on this blog)
Just for You, Mercer Mayer
There's a Nightmare in my Closet, Mercer Mayer
Anything by Eric Carle, wonderful collage-type artwork

Some newer books that I love are:
Mama I Love You, Barbara Lavalle -- beautiful Aluetain artwork
The Stinky Cheese book -- very funny -- even for adults!

What were your favorites?
If your life were a children's book, what would it be about, and who would illustrate it?

6 Comments:

Blogger The Cruise said...

The Mazza Museum in Findlay Ohio is one of my favorite ever museum visits. It's all art from children's books, and you are right, the Eric Carle stuff is beautiful when you see the originals. Now that I have young nephews, I've seen some really good new stuff. Of course I've forgotten all the titles. There was one awesome one with 7 dogs who lived together and were getting ready for Christmas. Also one about 3 hens who did something or other that was fun. I forget what though. I'm a big help, huh?

Favorite from childhood though; "My Side of the Mountain." by Jean George.

I would illustrate my own children's book. Next time anyone comes to my house, ask to see the children's book I wrote and illustrated for one of my college classes. I actually was working on a children's book for publication several years ago until my co-author got cancer and was in bad shape for a long time. I ended up moving before it got completed.

4:03 PM  
Blogger scrooner said...

Henry, at 10 months, prefers the 2 books he has from the 'Touch-Feel-Hear' series, especially the one on Wild Animals.

http://www.shop.com/op/aprod-p31618854?sourceid=13

There are only 4 pages, but each page has 'lion fur' or 'lizard skin' or an 'elephant ear' or 'bear fur' that he likes to touch while I read to him all sorts of random facts about the animals. On the right side of the book are 4 sound effect buttons, one for each animal. When I flip to the lion page I push the lion button, and "RRRooOOOAAAAAARRRRR"...a real lion roar. I think it's scary sounding but he finds it odly soothing. I think his favorite sound might be the elephant, but he's really into the bear fur.

Is it wrong to push the elephant roar button when he's looking at the bear? I don't ever do it...he might be tested on that sort of thing later in life.

5:14 PM  
Blogger ajparrillo said...

My 19 month old daughter likes the favorites...but she also loves coupon magazines and the many geography texts I have on my shelves. Maps, maps, and more maps.

8:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I definitely have many favorite children's books... but I think my absolute favorite is 'Alexander and the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day'. Awesome for the illustration, and quite possibly because I still have days where I think I'll move to Australia [yesterday, for instance].

8:51 AM  
Blogger ajparrillo said...

Where the Wild Things Are and The Five Chinese Brothers...and any Goldbug books.

5:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Good Night Moon" and "Where the Wild Things Are"

12:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home