Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Post Tourney Grub, Western States

It was suggested in a recent e-mail that Hunan Chinese food in Madras was the new best post-tourney feeding post, and that American Dream was the former favorite. I've been to American Dream a few times after a tournament, and I can vouch for it being right up there, but I haven't been to this Chinese place in Madras. I do think there's a front runner for years that's being overlooked in the discussion:

El Gitano in Mt. Vernon.

First off, Mexican food is my favorite. And it's especially my favorite after a tournament because I'm HUNGRY & I get to eat chips & salsa immediately (mmm....salt), and then try to finish the huge plate of food they bring out to me after. Not only that, but the food at El Gitano is excellent Mexican food, consistently some of the best meals I've had, and I eat Mexican food all da time.

What else?

Their service is great, always doing their best to fit multiple teams into their seats quickly despite it being Sunday night (a popular eating night at Mexican places).

They have El Yucateco green habanero hot sauce, not just Tapatio or Tabasco (blech).

They have cool vending machines, with wristbands or Homies for a quarter.

Negro Modelo with a lime.

And I get to eat there at least twice a year, which is a bonus.

8 Comments:

Blogger The Cruise said...

You should get to make that three times this year.
Shaykat just told me that Regionals is there, so you'll get one more chance.

The best was when they had the Mariachis. I like that music a lot, it's like Mexican Bluegrass.

Ixtapa in the Dalles is also pretty good. They give you a frosty mug for your beer, and the chips also come with refried beans right off the bat.

8:50 AM  
Blogger scrooner said...

I'm hoping to go there for Gnines, Spawnfest, Sectionals & Regionals. Quadfecta baby!

We had the most amazing Indian food ever after Regionals last year. I never used to eat Indian food much before, but now I eat it just to remind me of that place. They were have a birthday party there too, so there was booming Indian dance music going on...pretty much just Indian music with bass & drums underneath. Groovy.

I don't count it because I doubt I'll ever get to go back, and it makes me sad.

9:04 AM  
Blogger L-Boogie said...

I agree 100% w/ Dan. El Gitano is FANTASTICO! My grandparents live in La Conner (right near Mt. Vernon), and I have visited El Gitano many times. After Gnarly Gnines is the best when you're sooo freakin hungry.

When making reservations just be sure to choose the one in Mt. Vernon not Burlington. Bummed to be missing out on Gnines this year...(silly knee).

Maybe Shaykat should get El Gitano to cater the regionals dinner......

9:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was never really impressed with El Gitano (it's fine), but then I judge a Mexican place by how much I like their chicken burritos. After eating at Tacos Acapulco in SLO town, unfortunately nothing else compares. The closest thing in Portland are the burrito carts but their miles behind TA. :(

9:34 AM  
Blogger L-Boogie said...

I am guessing that A-train is Big Dogg..... ;)

And I must point out that burritos do not exist in authentic mexican food. So yes, while they are good, and often the size of a small child...burritos are the creation of hungry gringos.

By the way on the hometown side I LOVE Laughing Planet!

10:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ever since the first time the scrooner took us there (with BnR), Gitano has been my favorite post tourney spot.

In fact, that was the first I'd seen seafood at a mexican restaurant. Figures they would be good at it since the mother country is surrounded by water. Must not have had much real mexican in MN.

9:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My favourite food at a tourney was definitely Granville Sushi in Vancouver. It was all you can eat and damn good. Too bad they went out of business.

As for Mexican food, I guess I don't care for 'authentic' fare. I love Cali-Mex and Ameri-Mex, though!

... AKA Big Dogg :)

10:19 AM  
Blogger ajparrillo said...

I don't judge food...I judge people. I see someone spell favorite with the Brito-U (favoUrite), I say get out of my country and quit taking my job!

10:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home