Monday, January 30, 2006

Sick Day

So I called in sick this morning. Not because I'm still hung-over, but because I am actually kind of sick. Somehow I turned into a 70-year old smoker or I swallowed some glass and now my throat hurts and I sound like a frog.

The point to my post is how it takes a little while to ease into a sick/hooky day. I felt a bit guilty at first, b/c I could have probably gone in and sat at my desk today, but I also really, really didn't want to. I don't feel good enough to really enjoy a hooky day, but I'm also excited to walk for coffee w/ the dog, and maybe make a big pot of soup.

So after I'm done watching the Today Show, I might take a nap. Topic of discussion: How do you spend sick/hooky days?

I might also watch the 300 lb ice block continue to melt.

2 Comments:

Blogger The Cruise said...

My dad was a teacher, and he taught at my school, a combo middle school/High School.
Anytime I did anything, my dad heard about it from other teachers before I had even made it to the office.
So for 6 years, the 6 prime hooky years of ages 13-18, I didn't ever get to ditch. When I got suspended for fighting junior year, I did have to walk down to my dad's room to tell him I didn't need a ride home, that I had to be off campus in five minutes.
I ended up sitting in the front yard for three hours waiting for him to come home because I had left my keys in his truck.
Does that count as a fun hooky day?

This carried into college, where I skipped two classes in 4 years of school.
One studio class sophomre year when my housemates and I watched "Edward Scissorhands", and one seminar class senior year when I realized I didn't want to talk about South Dakotan Performance Artist Womyn for the next hour and a half.

I once took one morning off of work to buy a car.

...I guess I am boring.
Thanks for putting up the mirror so I could finally see that in myself.

10:04 AM  
Blogger Raindog said...

You should at least watch Ferris Beuler's Day Off. If you're out of the running for having an awesome hooky day, living vicariously is better than nothing, right?

Or you could drive to tillamook and visit the cheese factory.

11:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home