Thursday, September 28, 2006

Give your examples

The following notes are from The Scientific Quest for the World's Funniest Joke.

Three reasons why we find jokes funny:
#1-When they make us feel superior, by depictions of people being silly or stupid, by circumstance or design.

A guy’s walking past an asylum, and can hear all the inmates inside screaming at the top of their lungs, “Thirteen! Thirteen! Thirteen!!!”. He peeks through a hole in the fence to see what all the commotion is about, and a finger suddenly pops out and jabs him in the eye. He yells in pain, and the inmates all start gleefully shouting, “Fourteen! Fourteen! Fourteen!!!”.

#2-When they reduce emotional impact of anxiety-provoking situations, stuff that we’d otherwise avoid – death, sex, marriage, authority, bodily functions...

A woman told her friend, “For eighteen years my husband and I were the happiest people in the world. Then we met”.

#3-Surprise at incongruity, including puns and word-play.

So I went down to the local gym. I said, “Can you teach me how to do the splits?”
He said, “How flexible are you?”
I said, “I can’t make Tuesdays.”

5 Comments:

Blogger T-Unit said...

We already knew that's how Brent found out you were gay.

3:42 PM  
Blogger scrooner said...

Saw a comic at Harvey's who was a writer for "There's Something About Mary". His gaydar joke went like this:

"If I look at a guy, and I get hard, HE'S GAY."

10:06 AM  
Blogger ajparrillo said...

Demetri Martin has picked up where Mitch Hedberg left off from picking up from where Steven Wright left off.

I used to compete in sports alot...then I found out that you could buy trophies. Now I'm good at everything.

If I ever saw an amputee being hanged...I would just yell out letters.

I hang out in sportbars alot. I don't particularly like sports or like to drink....I just like to hi-five.

9:38 AM  
Blogger ajparrillo said...

Mitch, we had so little time with you.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6029452902646144512&q=mitch+hedberg&hl=en

9:49 AM  
Blogger ajparrillo said...

One more Mitch.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=9104976284161819323&q=mitch+hedberg&hl=en

9:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home