Monday, November 28, 2005

Catching up on the Vacation

Thursday I got on my flash gear and went to work with my dad. (high school math teacher, currently at 32 years total service)
It would be a day of intense learninating for the children of Pendleton County High.
Meeting my dad's coworkers was weird, because previously, those coworkers had been my teachers, since I had gone to the same school where he taught. It's also weird to meet his coworkers that are younger than me.
The Cruise started feeling old.
Most of my day consisted of watching my dad teach, giving a few quick talks on what the field of architecture is like (math classes needed, length of college programs, amount of money I don't make, blogging opportunities…)
Then I also went to several gym classes and showed them ultimate.
That was a near disaster. I had no idea the ammount of contact high school kids not only endure, but look forward to.

That night our Scrabble game got cut short because my parents watched Survivor, insisting it is the only reality show they watch.

1 Comments:

Blogger The Cruise said...

BONUS BATTER

-It had been 17 years since I was last in my dad's class while he taught. And back then I was a student.
He is a very gifted teacher, equally adept at leading a Calculus class of kids all fighting to be valedictorian, as he is a clas of lower level kids fighting to not have to work at McDonalds their whole life. He nudges the gifted kids, and lets them do most of the talking, they solve the problems on their own, with subtle hints that they don't even catch. The lower level kids require more leading, and sometimes even need to be called on. That's what was weird. I forgot that my dad didn't use to call on kids, or have them raise hands. He's still always in control of a class where everyone is allowed to speak whenever they want. Pendleton County is lucky to have him.
And after meeting his coworkers, I found out that they know it too.


The Gym teacher forced me to play ulty 2 on 3 versus his student aids. I protested for quite some time, then he just told me we were doing it. I sweated my ass off in dress clothes and leather shoes to keep up with varsity football players, and helping out the overweight gym coach.
We still won because I was the only one who could read a disc on a huck.

2:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home