Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Tedious

Okay, a moment to lament the downfalls of a desk job. I'm a pretty smart person, pretty good at what I do, and in general an effective and productive employee. But really...at about hour 6 each day I'm done -- and everything after that point just seems tedious and annoying.

I'm highly distracted by just about everything -- even things that are actually work related. I mean in the age of e-mails and phone calls and instant everything, I don't know how anyone actually focuses long enough to excel at anything, let alone for 8 hours a day.

But then again I don't like manual labor all that much, and am no good at customer service. So I guess I'm screwed, but I thought I'd share. I also read something recently that pointed to the fact that people who are distracted easily are usually more creative and higher functioning on a brain-wave level. Their minds can handle multiple sources of stimulation as opposed to a singularly focused office drone.

2 Comments:

Blogger The Cruise said...

My brother couldn't handle working a desk job, so he quit.
Now he is a Navy Seal who flies a helicopter for NASA and fights Nazi werewolfs in outer space.

He finds it fullfilling I guess, but I like being able to check out last night's sports scores while I'm at work.

4:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uh, yeah. I have NO attention span anymore. Wait, what was I talking about?

The year I started up an Ultimate team for the first time, I spent at least an hour a day or more screwing around sending e-mails & building websites & reading strategy & whatnot. Of course, I worked for a startup where EVERYONE in my department was like that. That's not the reason our company went under, but I'm sure it didn't help.

6 hours of good solid work is about right. Otherwise I just click around to disctract myself. Check my personal e-mail, rec.sport.disc, birdflag, puff, gonzaga basketball board, ultimate spew, craigslist, then back to work.

Now I try to put in 10 or 11 hours on Monday & Tuesday so I can just coast for the next 3 days.

5:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home