Wednesday, October 04, 2006

More Tripe

I was on the bus this morning and the woman next to me was reading.
Hey, I was reading too, it ain’t no thing.
I was reading this book of short stories, really short, nothing over 1000 words.
But I’m like everybody else, I glance. I’m a glancer.
And this woman is tempting me. She is doing this thing where she pinches the top sheet of paper and wiggles it.
Kind of like when people need to lick their fingers before turning each page.
People that do this are disgusting and borderline retarded by the way.
This woman is reading 8.5x 11 sheets of loose leaf paper, 11 pages worth.
My glancing over with my super speed reading abilities sees “Harry” “Dragon” “Muddles”, so I know she’s reading Harry Potter, but probably of the fanfiction kind.
Do you guys know fanfiction? It’s pretty sweet. Middle aged ladies write stories about characters in popular culture. It’s like they want the adventures to go on, so they make their own books. There are different kinds, each totally wack:

Crossover: Stories about two different kinds of characters. Ever wonder what would happen if the characters from Star Wars met the characters from Bridget Jones Diary? Evidently some people do.
Slash: stories about two straight dudes doin’ it. Not in a gay way though, remember this is fat ladies who love cats fiction.
MPREG: You should look this one up yourself, just not at work.

Anyway, I wanted to take a look at what she was really reading, did she buy the book online and print it out, or did she write this herself.
So I mesmerized a snippet that I could google, to see what it really was. Here was my result.

Peoples Is Crazy

This to me is totally fascinating. Plagiarism? Or Spontaneous Universal Idiocy?

3 Comments:

Blogger ajparrillo said...

Our culture is crazily ignorant and stupid. This is plagarism! Plagarism is a huge problem in higher ed (I have dealt with multiple situations of my own) and the students really don't understand why it is not acceptable. They are plagarizing on smaller and easier assignments.
Is this not just another version of Diddy popping in an old Police cassette and laying down some elementary rap lyrics over the tracks? Reuse can be creative and is needed. Music...real DJs that create new music from the old vinyl, Science...uses supporting evidence from past work to build new research, literature is more difficult since characters and their attiributes are intellectual property.

6:49 AM  
Blogger scrooner said...

Oh, I don't know. Maybe Hermione is just really argumentative.

9:34 AM  
Blogger ajparrillo said...

Oh..forgot this comment. I frown upon adults that read children's books...especially bandwagon shit...and this fan fiction crap is just way too far past that line. Maybe this indicates the stunted educational growth of much of the population...they did not read enough or at appropriate levels when younger, so they are picking up where they left off. OR, does American economic life suck so much, people long for the escapism of their youth. OR do I over analyze everything. CHOOSE WISELY!

9:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home