Thursday, March 09, 2006

The Sound of Science


My ipod is set on shuffle for the most part. I could listen to Fugazi’s “In on the Killtaker” album in order, but I know that I only really want to listen to “good cop” before I skip the rest of the songs and switch to the “Repeater” album.
Shuffle allows me to at least hear a couple songs before I ditch the rest after I am sated.
One of my other playlists on the ipod is called “5 stars”. They are all songs that received 5 stars from me when I ranked them, regretfully, scientific studies have shown that the human brain can only render empirical judgments on a sliding scale of 1 to 7, so most of my 5 star songs are anything but the pinnacle of recorded history. For example, David Bowie’s “Hang on to Yourself” gets a 5, as well as “Queen Bitch”. Even a man as deaf as Roy Orbison was blind could tell you that on a 7 point system, “Queen Bitch” is a 7, while “Hang on to Yourself” is a tenuous 6.
Anyway, back to my point about shuffle. Playlist “5 Stars” contains 560 songs. Too many songs to listen to in one charge of the batteries, so how does ipod shuffle know that I like Poster Children’s “Western Springs” and Bob Log III’s “Wag your Tail Like a Dog in Back of a Truck” more than most songs and puts them on every time I recharge?

Last five songs delivered to me by shuffle.

1-Jolene-Dolly Parton
Even when Dolly is being sad, she still sounds like she’s smiling.
2-You’re so Cool-Hans Zimmer
In Soviet Russia vibraphone owns you.
3-Sandpaper Blues- Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros
World music usually needs to be shot. Leave it to Joe to make it work.
4-Poster Children-Hollywood
Nerd Rock from Champagne. Wonderful.
5-Zombies-This is the Dream
I skipped this track, it should really be a 4 star selection.

6 Comments:

Blogger Suds said...

My iTunes playlist at work indicates I have 38 days worth of music. It’s a decent amount, long enough for some variation. You would think.
So why is it that the same songs keep getting played? I run the shuffle through the whole dang thing. I haven’t rated them. They don’t appear in my “most played” list. But there they are.

The five songs I keep hearing:
That’ll Be $22.95 – Solex
U.R.A.Q.T. – MIA
Long-Haired Child – Devendra Barnhardt
Old Mr. Muncherman – Lone Pigeon
Give My Love to Rose – Johnny Cash

Is iTunes haunted?

On an unrelated note, what’s with all the bad ju-ju today? Am I the only one who realizes that it’s Friday?

11:49 AM  
Blogger The Cruise said...

I had to buy more memory for my home computer to put more onto itunes.
I'm still nowhere near 36 days worth.
That's like 7000 songs.

I know it's Friday. I'm wearing Carharts.

11:57 AM  
Blogger T-Unit said...

They don't make iPods that will hold all of my music, so I just listen to internet radio. Ashish likes KEXP.org

I listen to whatever I'm in the mood for. Internet radio is great because you don't get any repeats. Right now, I've got gamingFM.com on. It's sweet. Perhaps later I'll throw down some 80's music, then some techno and who knows what else.

12:48 PM  
Blogger L-Boogie said...

Yeah, Fridays are good, but can suck if Thursday became your Friday and you drank too much. So then instead of feeling all happy, you just feel like crap and listen to commericial radio b/c you can't really have headphones on in the job that you do, or whatever....

Talk to me Saturday -- I like Saturdays best. Even better than Fridays. I'll be a hpapy little camper then.

3:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

laura,

you need to work through the pain.
go out tonight and drink yourself dry. It's the only way.

Æ

4:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just keep the radio on NPR at work. It's the only thing worth listening to on FM radio.

Friday was a great day. I took a ski/sick/snow day and hit the mountain. You guys need to get your priorities straight. Oh, and I think that I ran into Butters somewhere on the mountain. He's a 5 tool skier, too!

Birdflag, you are like one of those old ladies with blue hair and 18 cats running around, stinking up the house, when it comes to your music. I miss your music collection. That wall of CD's is something to behold!

9:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home